Friday 10 January 2014

My Make-Up Story

Like many girls, I have been fixated with make-up from a very early age. In awe, I used to watch my mum apply her eyeliner and have been obsessed ever since. 
My eternal inspiration for all things beautiful. 
I rifled through my aunt’s make-up basket, who coincidentally does not wear make-up at all anymore (I wonder if she knows this one of the reasons for my adoration) and the obsession naturally developed as I grew older. On non-uniform days at school, I wore make-up (against school policy but I loved breaking the rules). I remember wearing a pink and purple smokey eye on one particularly day, having been influenced by J-Lo's purple smoulder from Ain't It Funny). I'm pretty sure I accidentally used a blusher rather than eyeshadow. Multitasking before I even knew it was a thing. 
Uncanny resemblance. 
When I left school I  pursued a career as a nurse in London. However, this was not for me so I returned home and explored other avenues which included beauty, make-up and YouTube learning. Aspects of my private life fuelled my previous adolescent desire to become immersed in a technicolor explosion and so I began to teach myself about make-up, nails and beauty. I combined this with becoming a member of hobby groups and online forums where I met people with similar interests. 
I think I suit being an old lady. Just call me Doris.
My second 'date' with my husband was practicing a special effects ripped arm on him. 
In my early 20s, YouTube make-up gurus were just beginning Enter a plethora of inspiration, ideas, looks and creations for me to learn from. I learned more from this online hub of social interaction and so I began to share my passion for make-up on various social networking sites, such as Bebo and Facebook where there was instant access to beauty, make-up and style communitiesIt was like going to make-up school but for free and learning was at my own pace. Though I wouldn't encourage any budding artist to just learn from YouTube, you actually need to go put make-up on real-life faces in order to build your professional portfolio and put the dream into a reality. What makes you a competent make-up artist is gaining awareness and expertise on skin care, brands, products, seasonal trends, modern make-up, beauty for different age groups, knowing your client’s needs and knowing a little about each type of make-up artistry available. It’s about evolving as an artist and expanding and sharing your knowledge that makes you one of the greats. There are separate artists for separate industries which may or may not require formal training including, theatrical, film & television, wig making, restoration airbrushing (in mortuaries), prosthetics & special effects, weddings & special occasions, fashion, runway & editorial. Pat McGrath, one of the most influential make-up artists in the world had no training in make-up and look where she is today.

It’s not all about make-up though. Anything beauty related has fascinated me. As the years went by, I networked with professional, amateur and novice make-up artists, photographers, models, hairdressers, stylists and began putting together creative teams to do collaborative photo shoots in a variety of locations. 
Photographer - Matthew McHugh, Model - Cassy Lee Gillespie.
Bebo's  popularity was at its peak during this time and I met like-minded folks wanting to informally experiment with make-up and photography. My first encounter with a photographer was with a sweet-natured, talented, and humble photographer called Yvonne. Her images of dereliction, landscapes, urbex and animals were beautiful, charismatic, artistic and culturally competent, which resonated with me. We decided to do our first shoot together. It was the first time for both of us to collaborate with people and we both felt shy. I persuaded some friends into modelling and even managed to have my boy-crush at the time agree to be a model for the day (albeit he backed out but then made up for it the next day with a sort-of-semi-date-thing. Oh I should mention, he is now my future husband). The experience of this first shoot at the Catalyst Arts Centre was low-key, exuberant fun - sentiments I try to incorporate into collaborations I have done since. Ok, my make-up application was an unblended, disjointed motley array of chromaticity and texture but I did it and I loved it.

Photographer - Yvonne Martin. Model - Eleanor Downey (my friend since Primary 1).
Since this first shoot I involved as many people as I could from everywhere - college, grammar school and even primary school. 
 Photographer - Jaclyn Lindsay. Model - Emma Tully (both primary school pals).


Make-Up Artist - Dana Kane (school friend and big sis in the make-up world). Model - Debbie Hughes Johnston.
Networking like this expanded my circle and I was fortunate to be involved with charity events and local fashion nights.

                                                                   Photographer - Michael Kerr for Platfrom. Model - Mandy Soto.
This then led to many provocative and imaginative collaborations.
Model - Rachel Tracey (school pal).
However, even though I consider myself a make-up artist, I am not a professional MUA and I do not work as one. I never pursued it in a vocational manner. I consider make-up as a form of escapism. For me, make-up is a hobby, a passion, a keen interest.  Ok, more like an obsession, a sufferer of make-up mania. If ever there was a neurosis for make-up, I'd happily be a member of the injured party.  
Patient details: Neala, 28, manic make-up neurosis.

I stopped collaborating for the most part just before I started my law degree and in my spare time I would organise my own make-up  shoots as a one woman show. 
Models: Rebekah GuilarRachael GuilarStephanie Morgan.
I prefer the comfort of being in my home, making up familiar faces and taking pretty pictures for the person to have as keepsake reminder that they are forever beautiful. I suppose you could call it make-up therapy.
Model - Mori McKnight (school chum and beauty blogger).
Now, people from my school and college days want to be involved in some way with this industry. Whether that is to be a model for the day or just receive make-up tips. Some even have qualifications and aspirations to be make-up artist which I find very inspiring.
Model - Nicole Liddy (college buddy and aspiring make-up artist).

And now I have taken baby steps into beauty blogging and vlogging. This is something I aim to incorporate into my future career along with developing make-up therapy and artistry as it combines my favourite thing to talk about (make-up) in the place where I feel I can do my best and achieve my goals (home). 
From my guide to bridal make-up

As for brands, I don’t have one in particular that I get absolutely everything from. I find myself preferring products from several brands rather than one brand's entire collection. I love Chanel foundation, MAC pigments (the old formula), Max Factor mascara, MAC lip liners, Sleek lipsticks, Urban Decay eyeshadow palettes, Real Techniques brushes, Barry M nail paints and Illamasqua blushers. Even still, it depends on the colour, the longevity and the price. Having said that re: price, I do have my eyes on some expensive Ells Faas products, which I have hinted to my future husband that I need for our wedding day. Yes, I need them. Ok, that is a lie, I want them but I know I'll more than likely use some old faithfuls for the day (Sleek Oh So Special and Chanel vitalumiere), I just need to satisfy the make-up neurosis. It's kind of like that Snickers ad with your man in the blue shirt acting like a diva. I'm the Joan Collins of make-up shopping. 
"Better?" "Better."
When it comes to make-up, it’s hard to find something I don’t like. Although it’s rare for me to dislike an entire look. One trend I never understood is permanent make-up. Why put yourself through that for something that may end up a disaster? I enjoy the whole make-up application process, it is one of my favourite times of the day. But I suppose it would be nice to sometimes just roll out of bed looking like this:
Queen of Selfies 
All in all, I have a huge passion for beauty and adore everything about make-up and nails - anything aesthetically pleasing really. It can do anything for a person from transforming what they naturally look like – to simply highlighting the features they already have. Personally, I like to have fun with it and I like that you can be inspired by anything or anyone to create a look. I also love make-up throughout the decades and I enjoy watching others re-create timeless looks. You can be as artistic and self-affirming as you like or play it down. You can look like your favourite Hollywood star, your favourite singer or even a character from a film just by make-up application. I like being extreme with make-up as well as being low-key. It depends on my mood and what look I want to achieve that day. I like how make-up can make you look very-well groomed or messy and asymmetrical. I love how make-up has an entire history – from Ancient Egyptian Queen Nefertiti’s kohl rimmed eyes to Queen Elizabeth of the Tudors’ alabaster skin and cherry bitten lips to the. I also love the cultural diversity of make-up such as the Geisha girls of Japan to the Coco Chanel inspired flapper style of 1920s America. Make-up even has connections with social and movements. The anti-Vietnam war rallies and Black power shaped what was considered beautiful in the 60s, along with psychedelic movements of the decade. Nowadays, anything goes really – history repeats itself, people adopt their own signature style of make-up and brazen displays of colours are widely used professionally and by men and women alike. I find that no make-up is bad make-up, and if I haven’t said it enough already, I love it – I LOVE IT ALL! 
A ten year make-up expansion compacted into three photos. Aged 17, 22 and 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment